The fallout surrounding Melbourne-based travel company AVG Travels is continuing to escalate, with more than 100 customers reportedly coming forward after experiencing cancelled tours, itinerary disruptions and delayed refunds.
Frustrated travellers have been visiting the company’s St Kilda office seeking answers after overseas holidays to destinations including China, Sri Lanka and South America were cancelled or placed “under review” shortly before departure.
Among those affected is Canberra traveller Anthony Sheely, who was already in Hong Kong when he was informed his 11-day China tour had been cancelled.
After being offered an alternative itinerary that also fell through, Sheely said he was forced to organise the remainder of the trip himself.
“It’s extremely disappointing to be told I was going on another tour, and for it to be cancelled too,” he said.
“I would much rather they have cancelled while I was in Australia and I could have made my own travel arrangements.”
Geelong resident Anne Miller said her planned 30-day South American and Galapagos Islands adventure to celebrate her 70th birthday also collapsed at the last minute.
Miller said she paid more than $17,000 for the small-group tour, which included stops at Machu Picchu, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro, but struggled to obtain final travel details from the company before departure.
She said she only received the final itinerary in the early hours of the day she was due to fly out and later discovered she would be travelling alone for part of the journey.
“The beauty of a small group tour, whether it’s four or 20, is you’ll always match up with some people, and that’s what I paid for,” she said.
Miller ultimately cancelled the trip over safety concerns and is still seeking a refund.
Melbourne travellers Janine Navaud and Elizabeth Jennings also had their China tour cancelled days before departure after claiming they were unable to obtain flight details or final itineraries from the company.
“We couldn’t get any information,” Navaud said.
“On Thursday they told us the trip was cancelled and by Friday, they were pushing people into accepting credit or date changes.”
Jennings later received a refund but described the ordeal as highly stressful.
In a statement, AVG Travels said “industry-wide operational pressures” had forced some itinerary adjustments.
“Our focus is on resolving all pending matters swiftly and restoring the high standard of service our customers expect,” the company said.
The situation has also drawn attention from the broader travel industry, with Australian Travel Industry Association chief executive Dean Long confirming AVG Travels was removed from the organisation’s accreditation scheme more than six years ago after failing to meet financial and ethical standards.
“It’s a reminder that when you’re handing over your hard-earned money that you need to check the accreditation status and give yourself that extra peace of mind,” Long said.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission declined to comment on whether it had received complaints or launched an investigation into AVG Travels but reminded consumers they are protected under Australian Consumer Law if travel services are cancelled or not delivered.
Consumer advocates are advising affected travellers to seek written confirmation of cancellations, review travel insurance coverage, keep detailed records of all communications and explore chargeback options through their payment providers where applicable.




